Out of nowhere by Chris Naylor-Ballesteros

 

KS2 lesson plan. This is a super little story about transition and about still being the same person inside even when the outside looks different. The author uses the idea of a caterpillar transforming in to a butterfly to explore how their best friend feels during that transition; “Then I looked more closely and I knew. It was my friend! She had changed a little bit but it was my friend all the same.”

Text: Out of nowhere by Chris Naylor-Ballesteros

Enquiry question: If you change, can we still be friends?

RSE links: Respectful Relationships: the importance of self-respect and how this links to their own happiness.

Success Criteria: I know we all change all the time; I know some changes are bigger than others; I can manage change and hold on to friendships

Starter: What is change? How do we change? Have we changed this year in our class? Is change always a good thing? Why do some people worry about change? Can anyone think of an animal that completely changes its appearance as it grows up?

Main: Read, “Out of nowhere” and discuss

-          How do we know beetle and caterpillar are friends at the start of the story?

-          Why does caterpillar disappear?

-          “I know I look strong… the truth is, sometimes, I don’t feel very strong at all… I’d just have to pretend” why pretend you are strong?

-          Why does beetle sing a song about not being afraid?

-          It was my friend! She had changed a little bit but it was my friend all the same.” What does beetle mean by this, can you change and stull be the same?

-          “My friend is with me again. Out of nowhere” how does beetle feel at the end of the story, what has beetle learned?

Activity: In the story caterpillar/ butterfly does not have a voice; we never hear their words and we don’t really know what they think. However, they do fly in search of beetle so we know they care very much for their friendship.

Write a letter from butterfly to beetle to explain what has happened and to reassure beetle that while some things have changed, some have not. Show empathy in your letter, acknowledge how beetle might feel at first, but at the same time show that this is not something that you have a choice in. Tell beetle how you hope your future together will look.

Plenary:  what can we learn from this story? It’s a lovely story about a beetle and caterpillar, but can it be about us too? Why is this a story of hope? Why is it about No Outsiders?

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You need to chill by Juno Dawson

The perfect fit by Naomi Jones and James Jones

My Brother George by Kelly and Zoey Allen